Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Life Well Used…

 
I wanted to share an experience that has been happening to me, more and more often.

It begins in my heart and surges upward as a feeling tone that soon surrounds and engulfs my entire being.  It isn’t until it reaches my brain that I can name it and it always comes with deep tears, and soft mewling sounds issuing from my throat.

Its name is gratitude.

When my brain becomes engaged and wishes to describe for me this up swelling of deep appreciation, it always carries with it my Beloved Teachers name.  Gone now for a year, his effect on my life will live until my last breath is taken…and likely long after that…

My gratitude is for the fact that I could not have imagined what my life would be like now, just weeks before my 58th year begins, given the intense suffering that characterized all of my days until I was nearly 40.  Nothing outwardly has changed at all.  I still make just enough money to meet my bills and not a penny more, I am still obese, and I still live a life that is singularly alone, but not at all lonely.

So why, you might be wondering, should I be so gosh darn grateful for a life that most people struggle greatly with…(nearly broke, fat, and friendless)…

It is because the silence of mind, that began just a few years ago, is growing, stabilizing, and deepening.  With that silence comes control over the speaking portion of my brain that I once imagined was me.

Old, tired, useless habits of mind are dropping from my life like so much unusable debris; they slough away and leave me feeling pure, innocent, free, and deeply alive.

On a recent road trip for work, I drove almost six hours in complete internal and external silence.  I have become so accustomed to the wonder of internal emptiness, that I marvel at the ease of it…the relaxation and rest and care that can be deeply perceived, when the static of the speaking mind is not there to interfere.

I discover that the mind that narrates, (the one that everyone imagines that they are), is a turbulence and a drain on your vitality.  It causes irritation and discomfort that can drop cleanly away, when the silence that we naturally are, is surrendered to, and allowed to have dominion in our lives.

And of course, it must be pointed out, that with silence comes a complete and total end to suffering of every kind.

During this long drive, sitting in such an empty, yet vital interior, my lower hip began to ache from my posture, or the long drive or, perhaps just old age.  As it began its dull throbbing that started just below my waist and coursed down my leg to just above the knee…my silent mind merely watched it.

I went from gazing at the kaleidoscopic color palette of the high desert, to intense engagement with the pain.  It was as though my silent mind finds everything useful, or honorable, or valuable, or awe inspiring, or some combination of all these attributes.  Without the parsing, divisions, comparisons, and competitions of the speaking mind…the quiet mind accepts all, and finds nourishment in all.

It was about that moment that the, now familiar, feeling of gratitude overwhelmed me.

Gratitude has always made me cry…and sometimes it can make me cry so hard that I cannot speak, as was often the case when I tried to communicate to my Teacher the enormity of the gift that he had brought into my life.

Many, many times over the years, that I was his dedicated and appreciative student, I would try to express my gratitude to him.  I would start with speaking the words, and would invariably begin to cry, and more often than not, the tears would become a flood of emotion that would be so intense that I would bend over at the middle, as though I needed to be closer to the ground in an attempt to manage the fierce flood of gratitude that was overtaking my nervous system.

As these episodes would calm down, I would invariably raise back up, to see him merely watching me, impassive, calm, quiet, undisturbed…and now…finally, I know why.

His mind was so quiet, that all near him could feel it.

His caretaker, in his old age, would often tell stories of how much people were drawn to him.  How the dentist would not let go of him and needed to wheel him, in his chair, back to the car, rather than let her do it.  Or how if she would stand in line with him at a check out counter, where someone was angry or disturbed, how those around him would become calmer and quieter as well.

I saw it and felt it, every time he was nearby…but I did not know what it was that made him so different and unique, to all others I met in my everyday life.

It is only now that silence is becoming a more stable and accessible experience in my own life, that I fully understand, why he had such an enormous effect on me.

I cannot remember ever missing an opportunity to sit in his presence.  If he had not been teaching… I would have been just as content to merely sit with him, and bathe in his calming influence.

And I know, as an absolute certainty, that silence would not now be growing in my own mind, had it not been for my proximity to his presence and to his teachings.

So you can see why I tried so many times to tell him of my gratitude, while also sobbing like a child…

I, as yet, have no experience with the “Universality” that he would often speak of.  The union of all things everywhere that he could experience and express, and the place from which he taught.  I have no idea if that will come into my life, or if I will share in that measure of depth…. and I do not need to know.

As George matured and ripened, as a teacher, he strove always, to simplify his lessons.  In the early years his written lessons would often be narratives, describing the awarenesses that life was giving him direct experience of.  But as he advanced and deepened, his lessons would get shorter and shorter, more and more simple.  As this one, that I still feel so deeply…”Don’t compete, don’t compare, give up the need to know.”

As I traveled through the desert, driving in total silence, I realized in a deep and profound way that I need know nothing, about life, about my life specifically, about the way things work, or how it came to be thus.

As a direct and intense experience, I could feel the absolute wonder of not needing to know.  The silence, that has become my most valued experience, was not something that I could have brought into my life, by virtue of a plan, or a goal, or a need, or even a want.  I have no idea how it happened, or why.  I do know, without doubt, that it is the only thing worth having in a lifetime.  I know that it ends suffering and fear, that it bestows trust and faith, like a bloom bestows beauty and fragrance.

If all that ever comes my way, is a continuing development of this silent mind…a deepening of relationship with it, and to it.  I will have been gifted with all that matters in the world.

I look forward to the day that it no longer comes and goes.  I have no idea if that day will dawn for me, and I have no way of doing anything at all to encourage it to be so.  I must wait and see if it continues to unfold, but, if all I ever get, is what I have already experienced…then my life has met with more grace, than can be described or expressed.

And thus the enormity of my gratitude, for a life so well used…

Adayre R. Miller

7/23/13

photo courtesy of flickr photo sharing and meli_bee; to see more of this artist’s work, please follow this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23385506@N06/2257819205/in/photolist-4rvUZk-cuGbXh-cL5cFE-6zF8oM-9hA7Yb-87Ygch-UHZvx-9CrSAf-3icfqH-81CxxW-boo4a8-sxGY7-7sLhoM-36XKRK-9pkojb-eREuSp-e88uvq-dd9Kc9-evSaCm-a9hx62-4xDrzy-9qGs5m-9sPbfM-dmViC6-p6ThU-9jHzMS-9dFad5-JHYz5-5KTHtu-7u5mpz-bYXCg7-aAGSK-d27EeQ-7qJLCQ-8A1F1J-7EmTR7-fd56DJ-8fDSav-dRiH2F-8p2BpJ-9syTJz-NKWpH-7emint-2e3mFL-KDxhk-f4U5A8-7xycfk-6Uizq7-p2oku-feVMXp-r9Uii#


No comments:

Post a Comment